Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Turkey Recipe

This evening, we went out to a suburb of Boston to the restaurant of a celeberity Chinese-American chef. If you watch food TV, you know who he is, but I don't want to mention it here.
Anyway, we spent some time chatting with him (and my daughter spent a good deal of time talking with his wife). During the conversation, he gave us his "recipe" for Turkey (this being the night before Thanksgiving). His suggestion was to "Brine" the turkey, making it much more moist and helping it to cook 1/3 faster. If you haven't started that Turkey yet, try this out:

Get a cooler and fill it with water. Add equal part salt and equal part sugar until it tastes like sweet ocean water. Leave it out overnight (outside) or in the fridge..so its nice and cool.
The next day, rinse it off, remove the insides, and put it in the oven and cook like you usually do...for example, stick it in the oven at 500 degrees. Once its brown on the outside, cover the turkey with foil and and turn the oven to 300 degrees until its done. Voila!

I probably won't get to try it this year, as we're heading out to my Aunt's for dinner... that will be a feast. Make sure to check ohanatales to hear more about it. I've actually never watched his show, but he was really good in his explanation. I like his style - he made it easy and clear in his explanations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home